Tracing Fourth Neck, Atlanticville and East Quogue Schools

1813-1957

Researched by Carol Hulse Combes

1813- 1849

The first known school was held in the home of Halsey and Prudence Foster from 1813-1849, this was on the corner of Montauk Highway and north west corner of Central Avenue.

1849- 1852

The first dedicated school building was on the corner of Montauk

Highway and Walnut Avenue, where the St. Rosalie's Mission is today.

1852-1895

In 1852 Forth Neck changed it's name to Atlanticville. in 1860 the Foster family donated land to build a larger two room school house on Montauk Highway. This is west of what is today Ryder's Hardware. This building exists today as the kitchen on the Halsey Commons House on the southwest corner of Halsey Avenue and Montauk Highway.

1888-1957

In 1888 a larger one story school house was built behind the 1860 school. In 1895 Atlanticville became East Quogue and the school district was changed to 17.

February 21, 1902
June 27, 1902

By 1905 a second story was added on to the school. Two previous teachers donated the bronze bell that could be heard ringing across the town. This bell is located today inside the current elementary school. By 1920 the school had electricity, indoor plumbing and two bathrooms. This building was torn down in 1958.

1. Helen Stanton

2. Georgeanna Jenkins

3. Unknown

4. Anna Zerbrowski

5. Stella Kominski

6. Harold Jackson

7. Roy Sekavoc

8. Douglas Edward

9. Frank Karpinski

10. Kenneth Carter

11. Grace Jones

12. Virgina Wright

13. Jean Reeve

14. Unknown

15. Lillian Jones

16. Chester Reeve

17 Unknown

18. Martin Overton

Picture taken about 1923

January 31, 1908
June 15, 1910
December 9, 1910

Circa 1910

Teacher is Miss. Thrall or Miss. Littlefield

Children Top Row Right to Left

Fanny Brown, Florence Sacks, Kathleen Smith Ohlhorst, Ethel Johnson, Gwenette Moore, Juanita Ryder, Margaret Fraser, Eleanor Overton Kohler, Mildred Thode Oliver, Alice Carter Kavan, Agnes Nugent Becken, Helen Sanford White, Lucille Feinberg (unsure), Ester Carter, Hannah Goodale Bebee, Eunice Nugent Morell

Bottom Row

David Fienberg, Eddie Walker, Chester Wells, Norman Jones, Raymond Overton, Nick (unsure of last name), Herbert Randall, Hubert Terrell, Byron Rogers, Harry Newton, Laurence Moore, Bill Downs (unsure)

June 9, 1911

C- 1914

Teacher Mrs. Carrie Wells Carter

 

Left to Right

Raymond Johnson, Julius Sacks, Raymond Overton, Roland Randall, Norman Jones, Herbert Terrell, Eddie Sickles, Harold Steck Fiendberg, Mildred Thode, Ester downs, Kathleen Smith, Alice Carter, Ester Carter, Elva French, Florence Sacks, Lucille Fynberg, Marietta Rockefeller, Hanna Goodale, Eunice Nugent, Fannie Brown , Teacher- Carrie Wells Carter

 

Left to Right Kneeling

Ernest Jones, Bill Downs, Frank Rogers

Left to Right

George G. Dailey- Teacher, Harold Goodale, Lucille Randell, Wendell Jackson, Hazel Yost, Arthur Aldrich, Irene Howell, Norman Phillips, Milton Benjamin, Woodruff Randall, Stanley Fraser, Finberg or Brown, Midgie Down(Mildred Allison Downs), Tyler Hughes, Beatrice Terry, Malcolum Hulse, Mary Brown, Fred Smith

Taken about 1915
                                      June 4, 1915
The school children participated in a Memorial Day Parade in Westhampton Beach. 
May 2, 1919
November 14, 1919

November 11, 1919 was the first observed Armistice Day, commemorating the first anniversary of World War I ending. These school children would have been the first generation to acknowledge what we call today Veterans Day, which did not become a National Holiday until 1938. 

1920'S

4th Grade

1922

1930'S

This article is from the East Quogue Column in the County Review on November 20, 1930. They are talking about the school children doing a performance of "The Maid and the Golden Slipper" today we know this better by its subtitle, "Cinderella". The performance took place in the Atlantic Hall, which today is the Catholic Church. 

School floor plan as remembered by Carol Combes

1945-1950

This picture shows the inside of the second grade classroom in 1954.Their teacher was Mrs. S. Doscinski and the Principle of the school was Mr. A Siegriest.

Students pictured:

Front Row Left to Right

Gene, Levitsky, Tom Centner, Marilyn Brook, Karen Schneiderback

Recond Row Left to Right

Marilyn Corwin (standing), Alan Mercuio, Lynn Skura, Ann Mendenhall, Bettina Randall

Third Row Left to Right

Karen Eng (standing), Lee Kohler, James Nagorski, Sharon Kay Federico, Graham Smtih

Fourth Row Left to Right

Paul Lukas, Leonard Knotoff, Frank Nagorski, David Terry

Original P-TA Membership Lists 

1947-1948

&

1948-1949

1954-1955

Board of Education Notes

1947-1948

 

FOLLOW US:

  • Facebook Classic

 ©2018 East Quogue Historical Society