The East Quogue Historical Society was started in 1995. The headquarters and museum was formerly located at 155 Main Street (aka 580 Montauk Hwy) East Quogue, in the structure known as The Asbury House, and is currenty in the process of relocating.
The history of the hamlet of East Quogue (founded in 1673 as Fourth Neck, the name changed on January 12, 1858 to Atlanticville. It changed to East Quogue on March 25, 1891) can be traced in the houses built by its founders and later settlers, many of which continue to grace the community. East Quogue was originally known as Fourth Neck and is shown on the 1686 map of the Ogden (Quogue) Purchase. Today the hamlet of East Quogue encompasses not only Fourth Neck between Phillips and Weesuck Creeks, but the majority of Pine Neck to the east and adjoining upland areas, including Oakville, extending generally to the vicinity of the Sunrise Highway.
The farmers that settled Fourth Neck starting in the early 1800s include the Carter, Downs, Phillips, Jackson, Foster, Howell, Reeve, and Squires families – these names continue to feature prominently in the community. The main occupations of the early settlers were farming and fishing, supplemented by woodcutting as wood was plentiful to the north in the “Oakville” area. The cut wood was transported to Flanders Bay by oxen and shipped to New York City by schooners. In 1852 a small church was built and Fourth Neck became Atlanticville, which boasted a main street (Montauk Highway), with one road (Lewis Road, also known as Oak Road and Box Tree Road) extending northward towards Riverhead, an east-west through road (Old Country Road), and Squires Avenue, which extended across Pine Neck. By 1870 there were 179 residents, a church, a school, a post office, and two stores.
The Long Island Rail Road was extended through Atlanticville in the 1880s, bringing summer and winter visitors and triggering the start of the Boarding House Era. By 1885 the population had increased to 267 and in 1891 Atlanticville became East Quogue. A trip through East Quogue would not be complete without travelling down the many side streets. To the south, these streets lead to Shinnecock Bay and were lined with many boarding houses, particularly after the advent of the Long Island Rail Road. Farms were present to the north; several remain in operation today, notably along Lewis Road.
- Stephanie O. Davis